Speaker: LaMar Troyer
Texts: Matthew 18:21-35; miscellaneous
Direct download (right click and select “save target as…”)
All of us have been wronged by someone else, at least once. Regardless of the scope of the offense, forgiveness is essential to those who claim to love God. In this sobering yet uplifting message, LaMar connects genuine love with forgiveness.
How can we be freed from the prison of unforgiveness? How can we help others become free? Listen below:
A few key points from the sermon:
- Forgiveness has nothing to do with human fairness.
- Whoever lacks the power to forgive also lacks the power to truly love. This power can only come from God.
- How does a person really know that they have forgiven?
- When you have truly released that person, with no strings attached
- When you no longer seek revenge.
- When the pain is decreasing. This may take time.
- When you can receive that person as Christ receives him.
From Paul Tripp:
“Harboring bitterness against people is confessing their sin to myself, over and over again. Anger is akin to confessing their sin to God, dissatisfied that he hasn’t done something and placing myself in his position as judge. Gossip is confessing their sin to someone else.”